Hard and sheep's fescues Festuca ovina L.
- Very fine foliage and very dense turf. One of the most attractive species.
- Good drought tolerance, remains green for a quite long period in the summer.
- Enhances poor soils very well.
- Tolerates sandy soils well.
- Excellent disease resistance.
- Very slow growth.
- Withstands close mowing.
- Ideal for extensive management.
- Slow and difficult to establish.
- Very susceptible to trampling.
- Non-aggressive species affected by competition in the mixes.
- Does not tolerate heavy soils.
- Leaves tend to turn yellow in winter.